Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Ferry Tale: I love my commute...really!

With the cost of gas these days and increasing population out there on the roads, you often hear the moans and groans of people complaining about their commute. It's too long...there's too much traffic...the people on the bus are scary and stinky...it's too darn expensive...the list goes on and on.

In this category though, I have to admit, I have no complaints. I truly do enjoy my commute. Of course #4 has even less of a commute (bed to desk in living room) but even though my total commute time door to door is 1.5 hours each way I really do love it.
Don't hate me, please.

I walk 1/4 mile in the morning to the bus stop, take the bus to the ferry, ferry to downtown Seattle, and then walk approximately 1 mile to my office in Belltown. I repeat in the reverse every evening. To many people that probably seems like a pretty long commute and a pain...afterall, I am using 3 different modes to get from home to my work and it's using up a total of 3 hours of my day. True, but still, I don't have a complaint.

I have coworkers who comment how early I must get up and it must be awful but truth be told, usually when I ask them what time they get up to leave for work, it's earlier than me! (of course my hair is usually thrown in a ponytail and I don't normally wear a lick of makeup, but hey, I'm getting my beauty sleep!) These are the same people who complain because they are stuck in traffic for an hour if there is a Mariner's game, or the occasional protest downtown, and the ones who complain of riding a bus with crazies.

But how could I complain? I mean really...how many people (ok, besides all the other ferry commuters) can say that they saw an Orca on their way to work? Or can see BOTH the Olympics and the Cascades every day (weather cooperating of course)? Seriously, how can I complain about this...



So, what's your commute? Do you enjoy...or loathe it?

2 comments:

Isla Deb said...

Yep...#4 has competition, I can tell! And I guess I can't complain about my commute lately, can I?

Jill said...

LOL, no Deb you can't. We are very lucky. We too bitch and moan about the price of gas, but between the two of us and our commutes, the cars stay parked 5-6 days a week without moving. Thanks for the compliment on the photo- it was literally one of the very first ones I took after getting the camera- so just a "test" shot!